To be eligible for WPO activity, learners must meet one or more of the following criteria.
Please note: some programmes and activities, such as Surrey Scholars, have specific eligibility criteria in order to take part. This will be listed on the activity page.
- Live in an area of multiple deprivation (IMD Quintile 1 or 2 postcode – use our postcode checker below*)
- Live in an area of lower progression to higher education (POLAR4 Quintile 1 or 2 postcode – use our postcode checker below*).
- Students who have been eligible for free school meals within the last 6 years.
- Students who are eligible for a 16 – 19 bursary.
- Students who are a young carer – they care for a friend or family member who, due to illness, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction, cannot cope without their support.
- Students who are care experienced – they have spent time in local authority care, in a residential children’s home, have been looked after at home by a supervision order or have lived with relatives under kinship care.
- Students who are estranged from their families
- Students who are a forced migrant – they are a refugee or asylum seeking young person.
- Students who have a disability.
- Student from a Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic background.
- Students from a Gypsy, Roma, Traveller, Showperson or Boater community.
- Students who have a parent/carer who has served in the UK armed forces or reserves.
*To see if your postcode is in an IMD or POLAR4 quintile 1 or 2 area use our postcode checker tool below:
Please note, Students wishing to apply to be a Surrey Scholar must live in an IMD or POLAR4 quintile 1 area.
If you are a teacher or professional service staff and would like to check a large number of postcodes, please contact us directly. We are able to to this for you as an anonymous bulk upload.